Friday, August 15, 2008

Compost...Lovely Compost

In my efforts to be "green", I decided when we moved back home to Jackson, I wanted to start a compost pile. The only compost pile I had ever started was in Cement City, at my first house, in 1999...and it was more like a pile of lawn clippings and leaves. There was no structure, it was just a heap. This is an acceptable method of composting...except, it would be easier for "critters", along with my dog, to get into it and make a bit of a mess! Not to mention, we are renting right now, and its hard enough to explain the idea of composting when it is "presentable" looking.

So, I researched online for the easiest way to contain compost. I found a site with simple directions to take a piece of fencing (or chicken wire) that is 3' high, and 5' wide and just turn it into a cylinder and put the compost in there. So, I tried it. Here's what it looks like now...






It works okay...except it is filling up really fast. Between yard waste, and food waste (no meat)...that little cylinder is running out of space. I printed out a list of compostable things from the Gorgeously Green book and stuck them to the fridge...so if Mike has any question of whether to compost or throw it in the trash, hopefully that covers it. Then, I put a nice Fiestaware bowl with a lid on the counter so we don't have to walk to the back of the yard 80 times a day! :) There's also a blog on the Gorgeously Green site if you want to learn more about composting.


So, now I need to figure out what is getting into the top of my pile. As you can see, it is quite bent up...I'm thinking either raccoons or wild cats.

In order to get rid of the smell of rotting vegetables, I took the old baking soda box out of my fridge and dumped it over the top. It actually helped a lot! So, if you use baking soda to keep the fridge or freezer fresh...when you replace it every 30 days you can put it to use instead of chucking it into the garbage. Also, if you don't compost, it is good to dump it down your drains and flush with hot water. It gets rid of any odor, and cleans them out with out chemicals. :) But, that's off the subject of composting, isn't it?

If you have the space, I think composting is a great idea. There are some fancy bins that cost up to $500...which I wouldn't mind having, but really aren't necessary. Koleen keeps hers in a pile with pallets, Chloe uses bales of hay...the possibilities are endless! And, when you recycle and compost, you will be amazed at how little you have to take out the trash! We are down to about a bag every 2 weeks or so. Its amazing!


3 comments:

Koleen said...

I can not believe that is full already. I think you need about 10 compost piles. :)

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

This is very interesting to me. I've never heard of this and checked out the website. How long does it usually take for things to decompose? I know this will sound dumb, but what does it turn into? What do you do with that?

Nickie said...

Decomposition depends upon what is put into the "pile". I've read from 6 months to a year to decompose. It becomes one of nature's miracles. It is the best fertilizer for your garden or flowerbed ever! No poison, just nature working its magic. :)